Lately I’ve been posting a few of my project life and scrapbook layouts over on instagram, and a few people have been asking whereto get supplies or how to get started. This post is a little beginners guide to scrapbooking/project life with a list of beginner scrapbook supplies to get started!
For those not sure, scrapbooking is more freestyle, tends to be more labour intensive. Whereas “Project Life” is a style of scrapbooking started by Becky Higgins in around 2009. It’s a ‘system’ that makes scrapbooking easy – photos + pockets + core kit and that’s all you need.
The best thing about the project life style is:
- You can be as creative as you want to
- Save time, save stress and money
- It’s fun and therapeutic
There are really only a few things you need to get started, generally a bunch of photos and some old diaries/journals will help you get started. From there you can either jump online or go to a store like Spotlight (or your local scrapbooking/craft store) to grab a few supplies.
Where to start?
It’s best to start simple. An album, some ‘pocket/page protectors’, and perhaps a kit to get you started.
Other than that there are lots of other supplies you can use, including different configurations of pockets, envelope pages (to store things like birthday cards/memorabilia, grid/journal cards, core kits, albums and more. If you don’t want to start with a huge core kit (it includes 616 cards), you could get something like a value kit or a mini kit.
Here’s a few supplies that I have and recommend, to get you started:
1. Project Life Grid Cards 2. Pens Signo broad white gel pen & Sharpie Pen 0.4mm fineliner 3. Roller Date stamp Deskmate 4. Glue for bulkier items Tombo Multi 5. Double sided tape – American Crafts this to that 6. Stapler Rexel ‘Bambi’ 7. Precision Scissors ‘Cutter Bee’
On top of those, a paper trimmer would also be recommended. These can be picked up from Office Works, something like this Fiskars 30cm portable one would be fine. I store my supplies in a container I got from Ikea a little while back and holds most of my supplies (excluding paper, large stickers, alphabet stickers etc)
Here are a few places I recommend (in Australia) to start your scrapbooking/ project life journey:
- Spotlight – your local spotlight store should carry project life and basic craft supplies. Go there first and have a look around. If you can’t find what you’re after, head online.
- Papertrenz – a great little store I buy most of my project life product from.
- Office works – for pens, staplers and other bits and pieces.
Do you scrapbook? Would you like to get started? If so what would you create an album about?