I’ve now called Darwin ‘home’ for just on 2 1/2 years. I’ve been through 2.5 disgustingly sweaty & humid wet seasons and enjoyed the beautiful breezes of 2.5 dry seasons. I’ve somehow come to not scoff at drink a XXXX bottle of beer and will happily wear a singlet, comfy shorts and havaiana thongs to the shops.
There really is something about the crazy place. I totally understand why people say in the wet season things get a little ‘troppo’ around here; for around 5 months of the year it’s humid, sweaty and HOT! But right now, as those dry season breezes fly through my apartment…. I love this place? It’s winter everywhere else and I am sitting in my apartment, the doors thrown open letting in the breeze, in shorts and a singlet not even one bit cold!
Darwin I’m going to miss:
- your amazing sunrises and sunsets. Really there are no other places in Australia that compare
- living in a beautiful apartment in your “touristy” section – when ever am I going to live in an apartment with it’s own wave pool, restaurants, shops and a lagoon downstairs (and amazing views)?
- not having to think about what the weather is going to be like each day
- not having to think about what to wear every day – shorts, tshirt and thongs
- the beautiful Litchfield National Park (Buley rock holes)
- stunning Kakadu – it really is a wonder!
- BBQs, beer and good friends
- Kurts cakes vanilla slice – ah my favourite desert
- Riding my pushbike around – to crossfit, to work……
- Chicken pandan from Hanuman
- My favourite vermicelli noodle & pork salad from the Nightcliff/Parap market