Feeling like you’re in a rut, or always reaching for some spare change at 3pm to raid the snack/chocolate box at your work?
Before passing on a few snack ideas, I wanted to take a moment to make you think about firstly what you’re eating for breakfast and lunch while you’re working. Ask yourself the following questions:
1. Do I buy lunch more than twice a week?
2. Do I often have freezer meals for lunch?
3. Do I prepare lunches in advance for work (bulk cooking/prepping)?
4. Do I eat protein at breakfast?
5. Am I ‘hungry’ straight after lunch?
6. Do I get the munchies not long after breakfast?
If you answered yes to more than three of these questions, you probably should also think about the types of lunches and breakfast’s you are eating too. When having breakfast try and stick to low-gi carbohydrates to keep your energy levels up for longer, and try adding a little protein (yoghurt, eggs or a protein smoothie would help) to keep you fuller for longer too!
When it comes to lunches aim for a little protein, again a little carbohdrates and lots of salad/vegetables. I generally use the ‘fist’ guidelines for protein and carbohydrate sizes, and double that for salad or vegies. Now it’s ok to go out and buy lunches while you’re at work, but everytime you do it’s harder to control portion sizes and what exactly you’re eating. Instead opt for leftovers from your freezer (if you have any handy)!
Once you’ve got the main meals covered, it’s time to think about snack options if you are feeling peckish in-between meals.
Here are six healthy snack ides for work:
- Hummus and Celery Sticks
- Babybel Cheese & protein ball
- Rice cakes and natural peanut butter
- Boiled eggs
- 10-12 almonds
- Slices of turkey wrapped around a slice of avocado & hummus
What snacks do you like at work?