Mango and Prawn salad
This recipe has been one of my favourite summer salads for quite a few years now. My mum gave me a photocopied version of it (from an unknown recipe book), and I pull it out of my Kikki K recipe binder each summer when the mangoes start hitting the fruit shops!
This is a perfect easy summer meal, ideal for entertaining friends or family. You can make it ahead of time, and simply assemble the prawn and mango atop of the salad when ready to serve.
- 1 large mango
- Large handful of snowpeas
- 2 ‘handfuls’ of cooked green prawns (boiled, deveined and cut in half)
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- cucumber sliced thinly
- 2 cups mesculun (loose salad leaves)
For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of palm or light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander root (I’ve used dried)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 fresh lime juice.
- For the dressing, put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together
- Trim the snowpeas and steam for 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Refresh in a bowl of chilled water and pat dry.
- Peel and dice mango.
- Mix salad leaves with snowpeas and cucumber. Plate up along with mango and arrange prawns on top and sprinkle with spring onions.